Sunday, December 11, 2011

Time flies

From Round Rock...

Last week marked my last day of going to class...ever. At least as a student. This Saturday is graduation, and I have many mixed feelings about it. The first thing people ask me when I tell them I'm graduating is "Are you excited?!" My initial reaction is something along the lines of "No...I've spent 3 1/2 years of my life studying information that I, for the most part, will never use again. I'm finally done. I'm not excited one bit" but I refrain and simply answer "yes". Along with this excitement come feelings of fear and uncertainty. I am a planner. Always have been, and let's face it, I probably always will be. Justin was correct in stating that if I could plan things out 37 years in advance, I would. But starting in May I have no idea what's going to happen, at least not past where my own plans will take me. My current plan is to move to Austin, start teaching somewhere in August (be that at another preschool or an elementary school, I don't know yet), and work out every day like I've been telling myself I would do this whole semester. I have experienced the pain of failed plans many times before. I hate it. In fact, it's one of the things I hate most in life. Obviously I grew out of the temper tantrum stage long ago, but it still makes me quite upset when something I was looking forward to is no longer possible. In times like those I have to slap myself in the face (sometimes literally) and remind myself that God knows better. Every time. Without fail. With that in mind, I suppose it would be appropriate to focus on the excitement aspect of this new adventure of mine. I am excited because despite all the changes going on that scare me, I have so many things to be thankful for:

1. My Lord and Savior, who will never change. Neva' eva'
2. Parents who love me and have sacrificed more for me than I will ever know.
3. Friends whom I love dearly.
4. My dear Justin. The Lord has truly blessed my heart over the past 5 months.
5. An education. Although I have complained about homework and tests, I am fortunate to have had a quality education that some are not able to have.
6. Good health. Besides strep throat here and there, I haven't had any life threatening diseases like smallpox or dysentery (both of which I learned about on Oregon Trail).
7. Never being in need. I also have, at times, complained about the amount of money in my bank account. Or lack thereof, rather. But I can't think of a single time when I have truly needed something and not had the funds to pay for it.

I could think of a whole day's worth of happy things I am thankful for, but you get the idea.

I shall update, soon enough I'm sure, about how the Lord shows me, once again, that my plans are silly.


Have a wonderful Christmas! Peace and blessings, peace and blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment