Wednesday, December 14, 2011

The obligatory bucket list

From College Station...

I was reading a friend's blog (www.morganrainer.wordpress.com) and she had posted a little while ago about a singleness bucket list. Basically a list of things she wants to accomplish before she gets married. That had me thinking: what are some things I would want to do before I get married? Not like I have specific plans of marriage right now, but I would hate to get to that point and regret not having done something. Might as well start now. The first few are the same as hers, but here we go...

1. Read through the entire Bible

Having gone to private school and church all my life, I'm surprised I have yet to accomplish this. This isn't something I want to do just to say I've done it. I genuinely think it is important.

2. Be financially responsible

I find it very difficult to spend large amounts of money on myself. I don't think I've ever spent over $30 on a pair of jeans. I would in no way call myself financially UNresponsible, but I just have never truly been on my own. I am blessed to have parents who have supported me financially all throughout college, but since I am graduating I feel very weird still letting them pay for my rent and all that jazz. Starting next semester I want to learn how to properly budget my money and learn fiscal responsibility (Ew I sound old)

3. Learn to cook like a pro...or my mom.

Don't get me wrong. I am not the stereotypical college student who makes Ramen or Easy Mac every night. In fact, I don't think I've ever made Ramen. I am not a bad cook. I can follow a recipe like nobody's business. I watch Food Network on an almost daily basis. Basically, I enjoy cooking. I just find it difficult to motivate myself to make some elaborate meal when it's just me eating it. For that reason, I haven't really learned how to come up with ideas on my own. Everything I have ever made has been from a strictly followed recipe. I would like to learn how to cook the way my mom does. She knows what goes good together and can make literally anything. I would also like to get over my fear of crock pots...there's something terrifying about leaving one going all day while I'm out of the house.

4. Be ok with leaving the house without any makeup

Yikes...this is a tough one. I usually gag and roll my eyes at the "you're beautiful no matter what!" message, but this is something I would like to accomplish. Not saying I will throw away all my makeup and feminine beauty products of any kind and opt for the all-natural lifestyle, but I would like to be able to not be self-conscious leaving the house without any makeup on. With the exception of mornings when I go to the gym, before leaving the house I go through my routine of putting makeup on. It's not even the dramatic girl issue of thinking I'm hideous without it, because in all honesty I don't think I even look much different. It's just something I've been doing since 8th grade, and it's a routine that I need to be ok with breaking every once in awhile.

5. Live by myself

For my whole life, I have always lived with someone else. Obviously with my parents and my little sister, and then all through college I've had at least one roommate. Thankfully I have no horrible roommate-from-hell horror stories, and I have loved all of the girls I have lived with, but there is something I really enjoy about being home alone. I love singing at the top of my lungs without distracting anyone. I love dancing around the house looking like a complete idiot. I love building forts and tents out of sheets in the living room. I love cleaning. I love taking 30-minute showers. All of these things I can't do so well when living with someone else. Whoever I marry will have to get used to it, but until then, I look forward to living by myself and doing all of these things on a regular basis.

6. Work out regularly

This is indeed the most disheartening goal I've ever had. I swear, every time I tell myself "Ok, this is the last weekend I will eat like a pig. Monday starts my daily workout routine!" it lasts for maybe two weeks, only to be foiled by my not-so-secret love of Dr. Pepper and Sonic, usually at the same time. I would not call myself unhealthy or out of shape, but I definitely would like to be more disciplined in this area.


This is all I can think of for now. I'm sure I will think of more later, so stay tuned.

Have a good rest of the week!

No comments:

Post a Comment