Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Speechless

From College Station

For my grandma's 98th birthday, we decided to take her to County Line. She loves BBQ, as every 98-year-old woman should. To spare you the long story, my grandma has just recently become close with my family again. There was some family drama that caused us to not be too close to her for the past 15 years or so. Nothing she did, just unnecessary drama. Anyway, today we took her to lunch. When our food came, we said our usual pre-meal prayer and went on with our regular conversation. Towards the end of lunch, she started talking about this astronomy class she has been going to at her retirement home every week. She said a few things that caught my attention, such as "If you don't believe in God, or gods, or whatever, after hearing about all the other planets, I don't know what will convince you!" Had she not included the "or gods" part, I would have agreed with her. Here is how the rest of the conversation played out...

Grandma: There are just so many planets, it's impossible to believe that just one God created all of them! Kristen, what do you think?
Me: Well, I believe that there is only one God, and that He created everything and has power over everything. That's what it says in the Bible.
Grandma: You can't really KNOW that. That's just what the people who wrote the Bible say.
Me: That's what faith is. Believing even though you can't see Him.
Grandma: Then if you believe in Him, what is He like?

Not gonna lie...I lost it. On the inside anyway. My heart broke for her. So many things I wanted to say were silenced by my inability to form words. I am also heartbroken that at the moment when I needed to be the most bold, I was at a loss for words. God burdened my heart for my grandma, and I am praying He will give me another opportunity to share Christ with her. Please keep her in your prayers as well.

-Kristen

No comments:

Post a Comment